We’ve started a new segment at GQ Thailand that’s all about manners. They’re probably things you already know, but perhaps need a little reminder about from time to time. First base, we’re covering the topic of “the first date”.
1. Pick her up. No matter if you have a flashy ride or none at all, make the effort to go pick her up. Show up in an UBER black if you have to!
2. Be punctual. The modern Thai man is not the most prompt, so guys set 5 alarms on your phone if you don’t trust yourself.
3. Always open the door for her. Ladies first remember?
4. Buy her a drink. Start off with an aperitif before dinner, perhaps a glass of wine will calm those nerves and get the conversation flowing. Don’t overdo it! #awkwarddrunkslurs
5. Seat your date. All women love the thought and attention. You’ll earn extra brownie points for beating the waiter to it!
6. Keep that phone well away from sight. Eyes on the prize right? Don’t wreck it by showing her you’re not 100% tuned in. So many Thai men fall into the awkward phone scrolling trap, it’s a mood killer.
7. Don’t talk with your mouth full, your date surely doesn’t want to see your dinner after it leaves the plate.
8. Please, thank you, good bye. Being polite will tell a lot about how considerate you are. Say these simple words to your taxi driver, waiter, bar tender, and heck don’t forget about saying them to her too!
/ Words + Illustration / Lauren Yates /